Saturday, April 20, 2013

Guess What? ...Chicken Butt



If you live in another part of the country, (or in the countryside, for that matter) you may not be aware of the wildfire that has been sweeping our Northwest urban landscape: backyard chickens.  Keeping city chickens has gotten so popular around these parts that there's actually an advertising campaign that lovingly spoofs it.  

Well, I've been going back and forth in my mind for a few years about the idea of keeping chickens.  We eat LOTS of eggs (2-3 dozen a week), so it makes sense from a practical standpoint.  Also, my son has been pestering us for a pet bird.  Admittedly, he was talking about a parrot, not a chicken, but beggars can't be choosers, right?   On the downside, I've always been somewhat repulsed by fads.  In high school, I would stop wearing my hair a certain way or choosing certain clothes if more than a few people started doing it.  My husband has also been a hard sell in the chicken debate.  

Anyway, after much deliberation and the suggestion that learning all about chicken care would be a great focus for our urban 4-H club, we have decided to take the plunge.  So I introduce to you:


Ginger
(a Speckled Sussex)



Kyriarcho (a Silver Laced Wyandotte) 
The name apparently means "dominant one" in Greek...my son's bird.



Luna
(a Delaware)



Rose or Rosie
(a Red Star)



and Trixie
(a Golden Sex Link)

It's been pointed out to me that all but one of these is a stripper name.  Oh well.  We are looking forward to our great new adventure.  I'll let you know how it goes...


1 comments:

Andrea E. said...

Cutest pictures ever ~ your soap photography skills are now paying extra dividends in the cutest ever chick pic category.
When I was in jr. high my family bought 12 chicks and built a supposedly moveable chicken condo to be rotated around the pasture behind our Woodinville house. The new urban coop plans would have helped because this thing was so heavy it was never moved. The chickens ended up living happily ever after in the tiny barn instead and I have so many good memories of the whole process. As an awkward Jr. high kid, it was even good for me to watch them transform from darling chicks to awkward teen chickens and then into beautiful hens. Yeah for urban chickens! What a gift for your kids.