Saturday, November 20, 2010

Potty Mouth Soap


photo courtesy of Tack-o-Rama

I never had my mouth washed out with soap as a child (I was angelic), but my husband did…several times. The most memorable instance was in junior high when he cursed out the father of a good friend. The practice of mouth washing with soap goes way back and has mostly been followed in Britain, Australia and North America. I don’t think I could ever actually do it to my own kids, but it makes a great theme for soap, doesn’t it?


My new Potty Mouth Soap has been in the planning stage for quite awhile. I’ve run the concept by many of the parents at my kids’ school and always gotten a chuckle and thumbs up response to the idea. So here it is! It’s actually a lovely soap in its own right, with clove and sweet orange essential oils. You might not want to waste it on mouth washing.

But then again…maybe you would. Because we all know that prudence and youth do not always go hand in hand.



4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You know the gooey crust that can form on a bottle of dish soap? My mother would drag the top of the cap down our tongue when we said something offensive, like "butt" or "crap".

With my own child, I couldn't bring myself to put soap in his mouth, but, when the time came, I figured there was no harm in using mustard. That was a mistake that I only made once. When I applied a medium-sized stripe on his outstretched tongue, he walked right over and wiped it off on the sofa cushion.

The stain has lasted as long as the memory.

kim_wilton said...

I've had my mouth washed out with soap.
And, I've tasted my own soap, one that smells like delicious fruit candy.

Yuck and yuck.

But, this is a super cute idea. I love the boy's defiant pose.

ASBloom said...

Oh my gosh Jennifer! I laughed so hard, I cried! You should have used horseradish...at least it wouldn't have stained the furniture.

Kim, thanks. The label art was done by a friend of mine. I'm really pleased with it.

Marja/Glass Elements said...

Love the idea - the graphics and all! :)

This has to taste better than a squirt of
Dawn...as I experienced as a young foul mouthed child! Talk about sudsy mouth for a week.